There are few things in this world you love and appreciate your whole life. Family is at the top of that list for me, but I also have this fascination with space. Ever since I was a little girl, I have been in awe of the infinite, always evolving, intergalactic beauty we call space. That love and appreciation has led to many nights gazing at the stars in the night’s sky and chasing down planetariums where I could immerse myself into otherworldly realms. And now, this giddy little girl who grew up to be a schoolteacher got to add a freaking awesome experience to that list, Illuminarium’s SPACE: A Journey To The Moon & Beyond!
SPACE: A Journey To The Moon & Beyond
Illuminarium, located on the BeltLine just south of Ponce City Market, is a permanent attraction that engages all the senses by placing visitors in the middle of an unfolding story, fully surrounding you in sight and sound at an epic scale. In their newest experience, SPACE: A Journey To The Moon & Beyond, guests will be transported through a “cinematic immersion” to a destination that most of us have only dreamed of coming face to face with.
You will be engulfed with the sights and the sounds as you are launched into space with the astronauts. Feel the rumble of engines as you prepare for lift-off through 3D immersive sound. In-floor haptics allows you to travel alongside the astronauts on the surface of the moon. Be sure to look down so you can see moon dust being kicked up as you walk around. Maybe you’ll want to dance along the Kuiper Belt and step on these space rocks as they break apart right under your feet.
I especially loved the choice of music this show used. As one would expect, “Space Oddity” by David Bowie sets the scene as you travel alongside the astronauts through space on the way to the moon. After Commander Neil Armstrong’s famous words, “Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed,” the soundtrack cuts to “Walking on the Moon” by The Police. Even tunes such as “Bittersweet Symphony” by The Verve as well as Frank Sinatra’s “Fly Me to the Moon” are used to accentuate the experience.
Throughout the entire journey, actual footage from NASA is used to authenticate the experience. Guests can even select which angle of a “scene” they want to engage in. Run alongside the rover as it explores the surface of the moon as the walls become one large canvas that transforms the scene into a personalized experience.
SPACE Experience Guide
- Prepare for landing. Listen in on real space chatter between mission control and the first astronauts to ever set foot on the moon.
Low Lunar Orbit
- See the craters getting closer as the LEM (Lunar Excursion Module) separates from your spacecraft an begins to descend. You’re almost there!
- The astronauts drive in a lunar roving vehicle before flying home. Don’t forget to look down! Every step you take leaves an impression on the lunar surface
- Nobody knows exactly what the future will hold, but it could look something like this. Explore a fictional futuristic lunar base, complete with flying cars and air traffic
- How big is Jupiter? What is the temperature on Mercury? Put your knowledge of our solar system to the test as Voyager 2 and Cassini fly past.
The Kuiper Belt
- Mind your head to icy “space junk” that dates back to the formation of our solar system. If any of these rock-like objects fall out of orbit, they become meteors and comets.
- Enter a breathtaking nebula. This is where stars are born. Look around in wonder and imagine that every single dot is a sun just like ours.
- From the very first launch to the most modern advances in space travel, witness a fast-paced compilation of our most spectacular accomplishments as if you were there.
About SPACE: A Journey To The Moon & Beyond
SPACE: A Journey To The Moon & Beyond In an out-of-this-world immersive experience, take an extraordinary journey across the galaxy. Fly through a technicolor nebula, kick up dust on the moon, see Saturn’s rings up close, and weave through an asteroid belt. A giant leap into the unknown, SPACE will transport you to places you’ve only ever imagined.
Only 12 people have ever walked on the Moon, visitors are invited to join them at Illuminarium. Guests will have the opportunity to take a giant leap into the unknown as they tour throughout the solar system, including a technicolor flight through the nebula, seeing planets and constellations at an extraordinary scale and weaving through an asteroid belt close to Saturn’s rings. Guests will travel through time with a history of the journey to space, then observe a futuristic colony, listen as astronauts prepare for blast-of and have a chance to personally kick up dust on the surface of the moon. Guests who are 21 and over can also enjoy out-of this-world cocktails on the moon during SPACE: After Dark Sunday through Thursday starting at 7 p.m.
Tickets for SPACE: A Journey to the Moon & Beyond are now available for purchase. Evening programming at Illuminarium begins nightly at 7 p.m. for adults 21+. For more information and to purchase tickets, guests may visit illuminarium.com/atlanta
SPACE: A Journey to the Moon & Beyond opens to the public on Wednesday, June 29.
If you are looking for a great activity to take your kids to this summer, trust this teacher when she says GO! This engaging experience is family-friendly and educational. SPACE: A Journey To The Moon & Beyond is an out-of-this-world immersive experience that truly takes you on an extraordinary journey across the galaxy. Join others this summer and take a giant leap into the unknown as SPACE will transport you to places you’ve only ever imagined.