Sleep! What is that? With a 20-month-old and a 4-month-old, that word is something I long for. Trying to get in 8 hours a night is tough with feeding schedules and regular life commitments. After doing some research, I concluded that there are a few ways that I can indeed get in those 8 hours of sleep; however, I have to make a conscientious effort to do the things that will allow me that much-needed rest my body is craving.
- Schedule It – Plan for a bedtime and stick with it. If this means you have to put the kids down earlier, then that is what you need to do. Your body is not going to get the rest it needs until you are willing to schedule it in. Think about when you need to get up each day and plan accordingly. It may take some time to get your kids on a schedule, but if you work at it, it will happen.
- Cut out caffeine after 5 pm or earlier, depending on how your body responds to it. Think about it! Caffeine is a stimulant that stays in your system for up to 8 hours. If you are drinking soda, tea, or coffee, you are fueling your body with energy. It will be hard for you to rest and fall asleep if you have just finished off your 4th cup of caffeine for the night.
- Review medications to make sure that is not a factor. Check the labels of the items you are taking. You may be surprised to learn that some of them are contributing to your inability to fall asleep.
- Limit use of technology when going to bed or stop it altogether. Technology can suck us in and keep our brains engaged when we are trying to settle down for the night. Consider placing the technology AWAY from the bed so that you are not tempted to pick it up.
- Use lavender or chamomile scented items to help set the mood.
I realize that those tips or suggestions are a lot easier said than done. Even with our best attempts, life happens and that bedtime we plan for sometimes gets pushed off to the side. Whether you plan for it or not, there are ways to get a good night’s rest. Consider the sheets you have on your bed. Believe it or not, the sheets you choose to use can impact your ability to get a good night’s sleep. Using sheets that are breathable and ultra-soft provide the comfort you need. Empyrean Sheets pride themselves on being a trusted company with a quality product and going the extra mile for their customers.
Recently we were sent the Empyrean Premium Queen Sheet set in charcoal gray. This four piece luxury bedding set included a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and two pillow cases. Along with our set, we were sent specially designed corner elastic straps that help to prevent the sheets from getting out-of-place.
When I finally stopped “oohing and aahing” over the fact that I had something that was going to ensure my sheets stayed in place, I took out the sheets to put on our bed. From the moment I placed my fingers on this microfiber fabric, I knew these were going to feel fabulous against our skin. Empyrean uses a microfiber that many health care facilities use because it’s hypoallergenic and has antibacterial properties. This is comforting especially with a new baby in our home. This added protection of comfort helps ease this momma’s mind.
Even after just one night’s sleep on these sheets, we could feel the difference. The fabric is extremely comfortable and rather than hold one leg out each night to make sure my body stays somewhat cool, this girl’s legs stayed in the sheets all night long! Now that says something!