Steps to Purchasing a New Car

Purchasing a new car

Disclaimer:  Sponsored Post

We are the proud parents of two teenage drivers!  Wait!  Should we be proud?  Of course, we should.  Our boys have prepared for this milestone in their lives, and they are ready to drive safely and responsibly.  Now that they have hit this milestone, the next journey involves purchasing a new car or cars in our case.  My husband and I have only had to purchase one car in our lifetime.  At the time we made this investment, we had to actually look in newspapers to find out the deals that various car companies were offering.  Then we had to go to the lot to negotiate and haggle our way to a price that we were comfortable with.

Buying a new car or even a used one can be a stressful and scary experience.  There are so many things that you have to consider before making such a big investment, that it can seem like a daunting task.  No one wants to buy something that is just going to be one big headache.

cars.com

In a world where you must have a dependable car, how can you know what to do to make sure your car buying experience goes smoothly.  Believe it or not, I think that the car buying experience is so much easier than before.  Why?  Technology!  Car buyers have a wealth of information available to them on the  Internet.  You can literally shop for the car of your dreams in the comfort of your home, and Cars.com makes this experience an easy one.

Cars.com

Here are our steps to purchasing a new or used car:

1.  Research – Know what you are looking for.  Think about what your needs are?  Do you need an SUV or a compact car?  What features do you want it to have?  Check the car safety stats for the vehicle you want. Knowing these details ahead of time is necessary.  Cars.com offers car buyers everything they need to do this research.  From finding out which cars have the worst and best MPG to narrowing it down for a side by side comparison, Cars.com can help you find just what you are looking for!   Cars.com
  2. Secure a Loan – Unless you have the money to pay for your car in cash, you are going to need a car loan.  Check with your local banks and credit unions to find out if you can get pre-approved for a loan before asking the dealership or going with a third-party lender.  Cars.com offers finance tips so that you can make sure you are going with the right lender.
  3. Down Payments – Decide if you are putting money down or trading in a car.  Do your research to find out how much your trade-in is worth. Cars.com is the perfect place to do this research.  Here you can find out how much your car is worth and even list it for sale on their site for free. Selling your car through Cars.com is a great way to get the most money for your car.
  4. Begin your car search online, and  Cars.com is the place you are going to want to start!  They do the research for you.  Just enter the vehicle you are looking for, and they will provide you with a detailed listing of what is available near you.
  5. Once you find what you are looking for, take the time to check out the vehicle in person.  You are going to want to see it for yourself and test drive it.  Do not be afraid to have someone you trust check out the vehicle as well.
  6.  Insurance – If you decide on a car, take the time to check around for insurance rates.  You are going to need full coverage on this investment.  Be prepared to call the insurance company you are going with before driving off the lot or from a person.
  7. The next step is to sit down and take care of the paperwork.  Ask if they are extended warranties available and know exactly what it covers.  Even though this may cost additional money, you are going to want to protect your investment.  Having this security gives the buyer a peace of mind.  If you buy it from an individual, make sure that you arrange to have a trusted mechanic or individual check the car out before you sit down to purchase.

cars.com

Even if you are not in the market for a car, Cars.com is still a great place for car owners.  They offer a Repair and Service section that you are going to want to check out.  Just check out what they offer:

Get a Service Estimate

Find a Service Center

Service & Repair Advice

Safety & Recall Notices

Car Maintenance 101

The wide open roads are calling your name!  There is not a better place for you to start your journey to find that perfect car than with Cars.com.

Cars.com

Social Media Connections

Facebook

Twitter

You Tube

Google Plus

20 Comments
  1. Christy Maurer says

Buying a new car can be overwhelming, but Cars.com is a great site to check! I’ve used them many times.

2. Valerie Gray (@valmg) says

Cars.com can be a great resource. Not just for car owners as you mentioned, but also for folks looking for a used car.

3. Alli Rutherford Smith says

Buying a new car can be downright scary, especially if you’ve never done it before. These tips will help anyone purchasing a car, especially first-time car buyers.

4. robin rue says

We bought a new car last year. It’s definitely a process that is NOT fun at all. Cars.com sounds helpful for the next time.

5. Franc Ramon says

It’s really important to research well when getting cars. Know what you need and know the existing market rates. It’s good that cars.com can help you in a lot of the choices. It’s also important to have insurance.

6. Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen says

Congratulations to the new drivers! I’m sure your boys will be great. 🙂 I’ve never thought about searching for new cars using cars.com. That does sound like a good resource. When my son starts driving in a few years, I’ll have to check it out.

7. Thank You Honey says

Great tips. We will be looking in the next 6 month to a year. I absolutely love my current SUV and really don’t want to part with it. I know I will have to soon.

8. Lisa (@blm03) says

I have purchased many cars over the course of my life so far. It’s so important to do your research and know what you want before you step into a dealership.

9. Rebekah (@rebekaheliz) says

Next new car I buy, I will for sure check cars.com. LOVE how informative this post was!

10. Jenny says

My sister wants to get a new car but at the age of 22, she doesn’t have much credit established since she still lives at home with mom and dad.

11. Sarah Bailey says

These are some important steps to remember, I’m hoping to get a new car soon so I will have to try and keep these in mind for myself thank you.

12. Kristine Nicole Alessandra says

Thank you for these tips. I will definitely take a look into cars.com. We will be getting our son his very first car in January or February so we are currently looking around for a good deal.

13. Emily says

These are awesome tips! We actually just got a new car (well new to us, it is two years old) and used Cars.com for it! It is so helpful and easy to use to find the best deals in our area.

14. Angelic Sinova (@SimplySinova) says

Research is KEY whenever you’re thinking about making a major purchases, especially something like a car. I also think it’s great to triple check sources and have a sense of what you want and how much you’re willing to pay before heading to a dealer.

15. Kimberly (@momgosomething) says

We will be purchasing a new car in the late fall or early winter. Mine is almost dying. These are really great tips to remember!

16. Shannon Graham says

I am all about looking at the vehicle in person. I love that cars.com isn’t like a craigslist where it’s limited and scary lol

17. cgmjemus says

Great advice. Buying a car is the single biggest investment most make out side of a home. We need all the help we can get. Thanks.

18. […] Source: Steps to Purchasing a New Car […]

19. Aprill Coleman says

Thanks for the handy tips. I’m in the market for a new car. I need a bigger SUV.

20. Anosa says

I bought a car earlier in the year, my first car and it felt like a daunting task but with my father’s guidance and using the same information you’ve shared I was able to get a descent car and reasonable price