Give Holiday Gifts With a Purpose with Heart of Haiti Ornaments at Macy's

img_1406

My Christmas tree is full of ornaments as I suspect yours is too.  I am betting that there are several ornaments on your tree that you hold dear to your heart.  I have quite a few of them. From the ornaments that have been passed down from family members to those my children created over the years.  Each one of those ornaments holds a story.

As we approach Christmas, I want to challenge you to buy gifts that actually give back.  When purchasing gifts for the holidays, consider giving gifts that provide sustainable income for those in need. The Macy’s Heart of Haiti line is NOT a charity. Charity is when you give people money or donate goods. With Macy’s Heart of Haiti, people are employed and can make a livelihood, doing what they love most. It’s a sustainable trade-not-aid program where artisans make 22% of the purchase price of every item sold. In Haiti, the average daily income is around $1.00 a day.

This year Macy’s Heart of Haiti is offering ornaments that you can add to your collections.  They have been such a popular gift that the snowflakes ornament shown above is actually sold out.  While that may be a sad thought it is actually a blessing!  I certainly hate that you were not able to get this one; however, my heart jumps for joy that these sold out.  That means that the women and children of Haiti are making money!  The Heart of Haiti product line sold at Macys.com offers sustainable income to Haitian artisans by allowing them to support their families with dignity and purpose.

untitled-design

Although you may not be able to get the snowflake this year, you can certainly pick up this adorable fir-tree.  It was crafted with recycled metal and hand-painted by artisans from Haiti, this ornament can both decorate your Christmas tree and help sustain fair trade opportunities for the communities that need it most.

Right now this ornament is available online.  You can purchase it here.

As many of you probably are aware of, there are many companies that are now giving a portion of their sales of an item back to areas in our world that need them.  Whether it is a pair of shoes or clean drinking water, there is a movement in our world today that screams “We want to do more!”  As you decide what to invest your money on or in this holiday season, make your first stop at Macy’s for gift giving ideas.  Macy’s sells unique hand-made home décor items from artisans in Haiti.  Check out these times below that I feel would be great gifts.

3075028_fpx

Heart of Haiti Soapstone

Shimmering in gold, the Soapstone heart can grace your home in a variety of different ways. This figurine, an unmistakable symbol of love, is covered with gold leaf on top. Each individual figurine is crafted with care by Haitian artisans who now have the opportunity to provide for themselves and their families.

3075054_fpxGifts that Give Hope Pillow Collection

Do good while you decorate. Beautifully crafted by hand in Guatemala, Thailand, and India, these pillows from Gifts That Give Hope are a refreshing way to decorate your home. Each is a memorable gift that adds a soft touch to any room.

Macy’s Heart of Haiti has been in support of the Haitian artisans ever since the devastating earthquake and hurricane hit this economically fragile nation over five years ago and the recent .  The Macy’s Heart of Haiti line is NOT a charity. Charity is when you give people money or donate goods. With Macy’s Heart of Haiti, people are employed and can make a livelihood, doing what they love most. It’s a sustainable trade-not-aid program where artisans make 50% of the wholesale price of every item sold.

Shortly after the earthquake, Macy’s began carrying this product line featuring an array of beautiful handmade goods crafted by artisans in Haiti. The country of Haiti, rich in the arts, has skilled artisans that make products that are unique and stand out.  Haiti has an estimated 400,000 artisans (out of a 10M population) who rely solely on their handcrafted goods as a source of income. No other sector of employment even approaches such numbers. While other organizations have come and gone, Macy’s has remained in Haiti since shortly after the earthquake, deepening their commitment to this Trade not Aid initiative.

Macy’s Heart of Haiti

Presently the Macy’s Heart of Haiti line is only available at a few select Macy’s stores listed here:  Herald Square, Brooklyn Downtown, Metro Center, State Street, Northland Center, Seattle Downtown, Portland Downtown, San Francisco Union Square, Biltmore Fashion Park, South Coast Plaza Home, Mission Valley Home, Dallas Galleria, Lenox Square Mall, Dadeland.

Disclaimer: I was gifted a product from the Macy’s Heart of Haiti line however all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

1. cgmjemus says

It is a beautiful way to support Haiti, and to get an ornament to remind you just what the season is all about and to remind you to pray for Haiti

2. […] Source: Give Holiday Gifts With a Purpose with Heart of Haiti Ornaments at Macy’s […]

3. Mihaela Echols says

The throw pillows are my favorite! I like that this goes to good cause. Such a great idea?

4. nlampert says

These are lovely gift ideas and it’s wonderful that they support such a good cause!

5. homesteadwishing says

What a wonderful program! I love programs like this that enables people to have a purpose and earn money for their family. The soapstone is so pretty, and I really like those throw pillows. I will have to check these out for sure!

6. Daisy Teh says

This is such a lovely program and it is wonderful that Macy’s is participating and providing a way for the women and children of Haiti to make money doing what they love the most. The soapstone is beautiful and the ornaments are so pretty. I would love to support this program.

7. edira says

Great idea! After all the spirit of Christmas is not all about buying and shopping but also about giving and sharing, right? Plus, they’re so lovely, too!

8. cristinaleau says

Great gifts ideas. I love the pillows.

9. Elizabeth says

Such beautiful decorations and a great initiative too. Encouraging people to work and earn is much better than donating money, I think.

10. The Travel Ninjas says

We love this gift idea that helps support the people of Haiti. The ornaments are gorgeous and really symbolise the best of the season.

11. Scotch & Stilettos says

what a wonderful way to show support and help people! The Heart is so beautiful! Such a great cause!

12. Krystle Cook says

Supporting Haiti like this is such a great idea. I love those pillows a lot!

13. fashionphases says

These ornaments are so beautiful! Also, the idea of it benefiting the people from Haiti is even amazing 🙂

14. Our Family World says

How generous and wonderful of Macy to have a line of selections through this way! It shows that businesses do help beyond what they’re financially capable of. I hope they extend to more places.

15. Amber says

This is such a wonderful program! The ornaments are lovely too.

16. Hey Sharonoox says

This would make great gift for a good cause. I love the pillows. They’re so pretty.

17. Elizabeth O. says

The ornaments are beautiful as expected! I think it’s awesome to be able to support macy’s and their program. It allows people to have a livelihood that they’ll be proud of. Their creations are beautiful!

18. Lisa Rios says

Our Christmas tree is full of ornaments too as it is a important tradition over the years. Macy’s Heart of Haiti sounds interesting and I am in love with Heart Soapstone & that Pillow collections as well. It is quiet amazing that they help for a good cause too!

19. Claudette Esterine says

Great gift idea – one supporting a worthy cause! Thanks for promoting it.

20. Nicole says

This is great. I love shopping for a cause.

21. Isaly Holland says

I love the pillows! This post reminded me of always remembering good causes regardless of the holidays.

xoxo
    Isaly Holland

22. MJ Lushfabglameditor says

Gifting with purpose is definitely the right way to go, not only are you giving something beautiful but you are helping improve the lives of others in the process.
    XO, MJ

23. Natalie says

What a great way to help others! This would be a perfect holiday gift.

24. monique s says

so earthy and natural, I love it

25. Aziel Morte says

Such a perfect gift and a good way to help others, especially on the coming Christmas season